Monday 20 December 2010

Blatter Should Apologise A Little Bit Harder

Deaf, or just plain dumb?
What are we to make of FIFA President Sepp Blatter’s apology late last week to anybody who “feels that they have been hurt” by his remarks that gay people who might want to visit the 2022 World Cup should “refrain from any sexual activities” while in Qatar?
 
The Associated Press reported that Blatter told hacks in Abu Dhabi on Friday he was sorry if anyone was offended by his comments. But being sorry for offending someone is not the same as being sorry for what you actually said. It’s like being sorry for getting caught taking bribes (to use an analogy that may have some resonance in FIFA circles).

Still, Blatter went on to say that “it was not my intention and never will be my intention to go into any discrimination. This is exactly what we are against. If somebody feels that they have been hurt, then I regret (it) and present apologies.” That’s a little better, but it does still imply that when he made the original comments, he didn’t see anything wrong with them, and now that he’s been called out on them, he still doesn’t see anything wrong with them. But hey, if someone’s offended, then I guess I’m sorry.

Which leaves the FIFA head looking like the moron at the bar who thinks that people who don’t laugh along with his bigotry-based jokes must be lacking a sense of humour. To help him out the next time he shoves his foot where his brain should be, here’s how an apology with a hint of contrition might sound like:

“My remarks were stupid, and I denounce them unconditionally. They were offensive and hurtful, and a product of my deep ignorance. To show how sorry that I truly am, I will be lobbying at the highest levels, using all the means and influence at my disposal, to persuade the Qatari government to repeal long before 2022 its vile laws that criminalise homosexuality.”

Sorry’s not really that hard a word. It’s sounding like you mean it that’s tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment